Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What I Learned from Leo Lionni

When my oldest son was a tot, he loved books. On my day off we would go to the library for story and craft time and to collect a new stack of books to read. Somewhere in his early years he developed a list of authors he was drawn to. One, was Leo Lionni.

If you have not seen his books they are unique animal stories told in a soft voice with simple thoughts to discuss. I found a copy of Frederick at a book sale and we bought to read over and over. Frederick is the story of  mice, gathering supplies for the long cold winter. All the mice worked very hard, except one, Frederick. When the other mice called to him he said he was busy gathering the suns rays and other thoughts for the long winter months.

Now, you can look at Frederick one of two ways. For me, I cannot stand winter. I do not like wet, cold days without sunlight. Recently, we have had our share. The first frost has hit my area and with it came rain and dark endless night like days. You will find me mid July stretched out in the lake telling my younger son John to be like Frederick and save up some sun for the winter. Honestly, remembering the hot, sweltering dog days of summer, keeps me going in the winter. For me, I need to save up the summer sun and stories of summer for dark days.

My older son though, had a different perspective on smart Frederick. "Momma, really look at what Frederick is saying. He says be lazy, let your friends do the work, sit around and get half baked and when your friends are starving for lack of food, trick them with pretty stories. They are so hungry they will believe anything." Sad when the childhood eyes become adult.

Yet, there is something to what he said. Work and leisure need a balance.  We do need to be productive mice and work for today as well as save for tomorrow. We also need to stop and smell the roses, feel the sun on our face and spend time in fellowship with others. It is when we loose that balance that we start to view life from the wrong perspective. Working too little makes us, lazy. Working too much keeps us from enjoying the life we work so hard to enjoy. What is the answer? When you feel off balance, stop and look, ask your family if you are absent or hovering too much. Listen to them and adjust.

Remember, work is not just the time we spend at a job that makes an income. Often we work more hours at home than on the job, even if you have a 40 hour a week employment situation. When the kids say, "You never have time for me!" or your spouse says, "Just sit down for a minute and enjoy some quite time." you know you are overworking. At the same token, when nothing has been done for weeks, you might be a bit like Frederick, just laying around drinking up a bit too much sun.

How to you balance it all? What do you let slide when you plate is too full, especially during holiday times? As for me, I make a list of to do, and divide it into MUST do and WANT to do. I get the must out of the way as quickly as I can, then take time to focus on the want. I try to take my time and enjoy the want list with John and share time with him. What never gets done, I try not to think to much about. A wise pastor once said, "You cannot be all things to all people so stop tying. Find one person or one group and just center on being there for them. It is better to do one thing well, than to do a dozen things poorly." Can I get an....Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment